2.14.2010

A Destination Birthday!

On Friday, February 12th, my beautiful daughter Riley celebrated her 7th birthday. All she wanted was a birthday cake in her classroom and a sleepover party. So I talked to her teacher and picked the time for her party, and I spoke to a few of her girlfriend's parents to set up the date for the sleepover. However, things always seem to change here at Casa de Perlman.

We did get to have cake in her classroom, with year's design in the shape of an iPod (her latest craze). And we did get to take her to Sparky's Diner for dinner with her friend Carter. But her sleepover had to be postponed...




Because after we went to dinner, we jetted off to Singapore for the weekend!





Last Sunday Matt decided we needed to make up for our Sri Lanka trip and get out of dodge for another weekend. In less than 30 minutes, we looked online, found some inexpensive tickets, booked our hotel, and scheduled our trip. It was so last minute, so spontaneous, so fun to plan!





Here we are yesterday ... having a Starbucks, and enjoying the mall just across the street from our hotel.





Then it was off to lunch... at California Pizza Kitchen. We sat OUTSIDE almost 2 hours eating and enjoying the view. Woo Hoo!!





And then off to the Night Safari ... where we had a great time watching the fire eaters, taking a tram ride around the park, observing various nocturnal animals from all over the world, and ending with a Creatures of the Night show that had us laughing until 10:30 pm! And oh yes, we can't forget about the nightcap at Ben and Jerry's.

We're thoroughly enjoying our time here in Singapore. Today we spent the entire day at the Singapore Zoo followed by dinner at TGI Friday's, and tomorrow we're off to the Singapore Flyer, and other Western trappings of civilization before flying back to Chennai.

More photos and details to come in our next update... Stay tuned!

11 comments:

Mom24 said...

I'm guessing it's being able to do things like this, is what keeps you going overseas. It sounds fabulous and I'm terribly jealous. I hope you continue to have a wonderful time.

Shannon said...

I am SOOO jealous Starbucks and CPK! Enjoy your weekend.

Jen said...

Love, love, love the cake and the night safari looks awesome. So glad you guys are having a great time!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That just sounds So. Incredibly. Amazing.

I've heard that Singapore is really, really nifty. It looks like it is!

The picture of you and Matt is absolutely ADORABLE. You guys look so thrilled to be where you are. Did one of your daughters take that picture? If so, she did a GREAT job! Those are such genuine, happy smiles. And so is yours with the Starbucks in your hand!

:)

anymommy said...

You look SO happy, love the SB picture. Enjoy the heck out of that trip. And, oh my gosh, our boys are getting so big!

Kirsten said...

Love the iPod cake! My seven year old daughter made candy iPod Valentines this year.

Singapore sounds like a blast! It's been a looooong time since we've done anything spontaneous like that. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Christy said...

Oh my god that sounds so awesome Jill! And I love all your photos! Go Starbucks and western restaurants! Woo-hoo!!!!

Have a fabulous rest of your trip and I'm sure she won't mind the postponement of her sleepover one bit! Happy belated birthday to the darling girl!!!

Natalie said...

Yay Buck-bucks and birthdays and spontaneous travel, the night zoo and Singapore....definitely some of my favorite things!

Anonymous said...

I just spent all manner of time updating my 11-year-old son's iPod - it's his favorite thing in the world - and I thought of your daughter and her cute ipod cake and I started wondering about what she loves listening to on her ipod.

I've had a really hard time searching for kid-friendly podcasts.

My son's favorite podcasts are:

Best of YouTube
Dilbert Animated Cartoons
How Stuff Works/Stuff You Should Know (some have funky themes that I delete but a lot are really informative *and* he enjoys them)

and also, though maybe less interesting to your daughter:

NPR's Car Talk

I'm always on the lookout for more podcasts for him, so if you or anyone else reading this knows of any I'm missing, I would love to hear about them!

Crystal said...

How fabulous!!!! It looks just wonderful and now I wish that could be our next post. I know, I know. Keep dreaming, right!

No vomit on the trip, you were blessed : ) So glad to see your family loved and is all smiles. Grady has turned into such a handsome big boy. They grow to fast!!!

Lisa said...

What a cute birthday girl & great cake Jill. And how jealous am I? we go to Chicago on a whim. You go to SINGAPORE? Yay for you!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs