5.14.2010

Dear Grady,

You have my eyes. That's the only physical feature that you got from me. Your laid back demeanor... yeah, totally not mine. You got that from your dad. As well as your looks. Seriously, the apple didn't even branch from the tree... you're a spitting image of him. Thank goodness I find him gorgeous, just like you.

I can't believe that a year has passed by as quickly as it has. It seems like it was last week that I found out I was pregnant... and then yesterday when I went back to California to finish cooking you before delivery. You came a tad early, by my choice, as I was seriously done with being pregnant. Your easy delivery has been the guideline for your life.

We've done more traveling with you in your first year of life than many people do in a lifetime; from two trips to the Taj Mahal, to Jaipur and Delhi, to Bangkok, Sri Lanka, Singapore, and Coorg. Your yielding nature has made the chaos just that much easier.

You love playing with your sisters and light up the minute they walk into the room. You clap, bounce, wave, and squeal with delight every chance you get. You have a few words in your repertoire; momma, dadda, bye-bye, Bubbie, baby, more. You have 9 teeth, including a molar, which shocked us all when it came in. And you want to skip walking all together and go straight to running... which you attempt to do when we try to get you to take a few steps. Slow down little guy, the bruises on your forehead are starting to swell and will eventually turn blue.

This past year has flown by, and it amazes me that we're already celebrating your first birthday. A day that several years ago I thought I may never see. But here we all are, bursting with joy and love. For having you in our lives truly completes our family.










13 comments:

Christy said...

Oh what a sweet, sweet letter to Grady! Happy Birthday little man! You are just gorgeous and clearly so loved!

Jen said...

Aw, what a sweet, cute little guy! Happy first birthday, Grady!!

Robin said...

A beautiful post for a beautiful boy.

Happy birthday sweetie, and tell your mom congratulations on finding a new place to live, too. You're going to LOVE living near the beach - all that sand to eat. Good times ahead :).

Ramit Grover said...

Hi Grady my boy. I wish you a very very happy first birthday, and pray to God for your long life and good health.

Listen up little guy, and listen up good, I've been following your Mommy's blog since a long time now, and all that she's done for you kids is amazing and out of this world. Right now she's probably all alone in a strange country and the city she is in is not even very advanced like New Delhi, but she's still managed to make the most of her days and never has once complained.

All I ask of you and your siblings, is to respect your parents, and when the time comes and they need a hug, go give it to them.

Grady my boy, you're on lucky handsome fellow.

God bless you and your family.

Love,

The Bald Guy.

Mom24 said...

So sweet. It's impossible to believe how fast the last 15 months or so have gone.

Hope he had a wonderful day and I hope the next year flies by just as quickly.

Crystal said...

Jill, that made me cry!! He is such a doll, you must kiss those cheeks all the time : ) You are blessed my friend! Happy birthday to you Mr. Grady, may your second year be a great one~

Crystal said...

Jill, that made me cry!! He is such a doll, you must kiss those cheeks all the time : ) You are blessed my friend! Happy birthday to you Mr. Grady, may your second year be a great one~

Z. Marie said...

Happy birthday to Grady. Perhaps some day he and Owen can wreak havoc at the same post. But the world isn't quite ready for that yet ...

Sara said...

Happy Birthday Grady! What a sweet boy you have. My daughter just turned one as well and like you I find it amazing it happened so fast. I look forward to reading more about your family. I always have mixed feelings with my girls only knowing Manila as their home. I'm especially reminded of this on their birthdays! Looks like you will be giving Grady America soon.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday kiddo! Great post, mama!

Shannon said...

What a year, huh? ;)

Happy 1st Birthday, Grady!

Lisa said...

It was the quickest year, wasn't it Jill? Those third ones just complete us in ways we didn't know we needed completed. He is such a handsome little man, and you can see he is so, so loved. Happy Birthday Grady! Looks like your Mama made it wonderful! (PS - Love the cake!)

modestmuse said...

So sweet!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs