5.27.2010

Sell High, Buy Low...

Sounds more like a stock tip rather than the goal for the school yard sale today ... which was to sell as much of our stuff as we possibly could at the yard sale, and to come home with virtually as little as possible. But there was only one problem...

I saw a BOB. I saw THE BOB I've had my eye on for several years. The BOB was virtually new. The BOB NEEDED to be mine.

Of course, today was the day I was going to considerably lighten our load .... to detach ourselves from every last bit of baby equipment, outdated household items, and consumables for which I WAY overbought. The goal of the day was to sell high and not buy, and certainly not spend 1/2 of the money I made at the yard sale on a stroller. Even if it was THE stroller that I've always wanted. Priorities people.

But as the day went on, the BOB just sat there. Staring at me. Calling my name. It quietly whispered, "buy me." It caught me peeking at it every chance I got. Everyone walked by it. Nobody gave it a second glance. But I did. I was watching it the entire day. I pushed it around. I inspected it all over. I felt its wheels, its sunshade, its beautiful body.

I think it was fate calling out to me. Or maybe it was just me whispering loudly so that I could literally hear myself think, "just buy the d*mn thing already." So I called Matt and told him what I found. Before I could even ask his opinion he mumbled one word. "Bargain."

Which in one swift text message to its owner I did.

Less than twenty minutes later I received word that they accepted my much lower offer. For a MUST have stroller to use when living at the beach for a year. Again, priorities people.

So in all it was a GREAT day. I sold 85% of the stuff I brought to the yard sale. I made almost $400. I spent about half of that on my new stroller (great price, huh?). And I left the school with about 300 pounds less than what I brought with me. Sure, I didn't come home with as fun a story as at the last yard sale.... but that's OK. I have something better. I have a BOB.




My table at the yard sale. My new stroller. What I brought back home.

13 comments:

Mom24 said...

You'll be happy about that every time you use it--which will probably be constantly.

Now, tell the truth, did Matt realize what a bargain it was, or did you have to fill him in? Mark wouldn't have had a clue.

Kristi said...

I love our double bob. Love, love, LOVE it. Todd actually got upset the other day when it was not in the minivan. And if you got it for a steal, good for you! Use the money you saved to buy the drink holder. It's about 20 and worth every penny!

Z. Marie said...

Come on, you know you were secretly hoping for a bee attack this time ...
I love our Bob. Which model is that? In case you're thinking of getting the kids' snack tray, just say no. I just took ours off because 1. most sippy cups are too big to fit in the cup holder and 2. kids the size of our boys aren't tall enough to see into the tray, so they don't know when there's a snack there.

Shannon said...

I have a BOB and I LOVE it. It is 4 years old now, sorta of beat up but such a good stroller, and trust me I paid more than 200 for it. A lot more. Plus yours is the orange I really wanted. I got stuck with blue and gray. Boring!

It works great on the beach, on bumpy hiking trails, on hills and even at the mall. We still used it last summer on long hikes. Mostly Gray walks but when he gets tired he climbs in and rides for a while to rest. I should sell it but I am not ready yet. So I guess someone in Malawi will get lucky next year when I finally face the fact that my stroller days are over.

Kirsten said...

Great purchase. You can't beat a BOB!

Kat said...

Wow! Sounds like a very successful day! :)

Christy said...

Oh man...I'm going double stroller hunting this weekend and am afraid I'm going to end up with a full retail price BOB. Which as you know won't be cheap. BUT, I'll be VERY happy.... :-)

Great job on getting rid of your stuff and on that awesome bargain!!!

Kristi said...

To Christy- if you sign up for the REI newsletter, you can get a 20% off coupon that you can use on the stroller.

Sunny said...

I want a BOB. I think we are going to sell our yuppie single stroller for a more practical yuppie stroller like the BOB. Nice work on the bargaining!

Crystal said...

I am sure you will love your BOB : ) If you can get something needed that is second hand in wonderful condition I always say "go for it!". You will get much use out of it!!!! Good job in making 400$ and in selling all that stuff. Lightening the load is great, huh?

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Daring Adventure said...

Oh my gosh - my children are so old that I didn't even know what a BOB was until I read all the way through this post and saw the picture!!

Good heavens. Now I'm feeling REALLY old and totally out of the loop, LOL!

But congrats on your new BOB and good for you for getting rid of so much! Thinking of you as you're packing...

Lisa said...

Would love a BOB ~ sounds like you got a stinky good deal. And Grady can ride in it until he's 4 or five for sure :)

Blog Designed by: NW Designs