9.01.2011

Make New Friends ... But Keep The Old

One is Silver and the other Gold ...

Which couldn't be truer here. I met these two lovely ladies way back in August, 2003 ... at our very first overseas post in Muscat, Oman. Three women in totally different stages of our lives. The newlywed, the working mom of a toddler, and mother of a six-month old who just stopped working for the first time in her life.

Connecting. Supporting. Building memories.

We've been there for each other through thick and thin. New babies and new countries. Failed pregnancies and unhappy jobs. The Embassy parties. The vacations. The three husbands doing hardship tours in Iraq and Cuba.

It's difficult to make friends when you get older. When you're no longer thrown into the Embassy community fishbowl. When you're as nomadic as we are. When you move into a house directly between two best friends and you so completely feel like the third wheel...

So I'm extra thankful that we stay in touch. And that we always try to meet up in DC when we know we're going to be in town at the same time. Which, since we left Oman six years ago, has happened twice. Once back in January, 2007.

And the other, last night.




Thanks ladies ... my cup is full for awhile.


Small trip down memory lane ...



March, 2004



November, 2004 ( I'm 8 months prego)


January, 2007



Visiting Alison in Budapest in May, 2006



Kathie in DC - Jan, 2009 (I'm 4 months prego)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is quite possibly one of the most rewarding (and heartbreaking) thing about this life overseas. The amazing friendships.

Love the trip down memory lane.

Christy said...

Awww this post made me tear up! So happy to see you so happy with your friends. Love those kinds of connections. Great photos - you were a beautiful pregnant momma!! Miss you. xo

Kate Coveny Hood said...

There are so many ways to measure the depth of friendship. And one would be the test of time and distance. You are all three very lucky to have found each other - love the pictures!

anymommy said...

I have friendships like these and I treasure them. It's going to happen in your new home. The transition time is always reflective for me.

amy said...

Love the friendships that last and last.

Mom24 said...

I'm so glad for you. Priceless indeed. I also know you'll make amazing friends in VA.

Kat said...

That's wonderful. Nothing beats a good visit with best girlfriends! :)

Jen said...

That's awesome and I love the pictures!!

Loukia said...

That is so lovely... amazing to have friends like that! :) Love the pics.

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Beautiful women, beautiful friendships. xo

Heidi said...

This is so sweet! And something I needed to read today as I was just thinking of some new friendships in my life where I feel like the third wheel...and it's not something I want. Like you, I'm more into the old than the new right now.
So glad you had this time.

HeidiR said...

What a great posting!!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs