8.03.2010

On The Road Again

Like true nomads, we Perlmans don't like to stay in any one place too long... lest we actually get comfortable, or you know, settle in...

Saturday morning, after 7 weeks of infiltrating my in-laws house in Newport Beach, we over-packed the family truckster and slowly made the drive up to my parent's house in northern California. Oh it was a LONG trip... a very, very long trip. What should have been a mere six hour drive, turned in to the nine hour journey from hell as Grady had a high'ish fever and screamed for hours on end. I had to pull off the freeway every hour or so in what was ultimately a failed attempt to ever console him. So. Not. Fun.

As we'll be here for the better part of a month, we wanted to bring as many creature comforts from southern California as possible. Of course, we brought the dog. (Who was frankly so worried we'd leave her behind that she followed me around as I packed all Saturday morning, and then jumped into the back of the Land Rover and refused to move for fear I may change my mind). We also had the best intentions of purchasing a bike rack and schlepping the girls bikes up here. Though that idea quickly fell to the wayside when I discovered I'd first have to buy a tow hitch (for the low price of $458 ... which, by the way, despite that ridiculous price does NOT come with anything else ...) and THEN I could buy the bike rack (for another $250+). Seriously? It was far cheaper to buy the girls overpriced bikes today at both Wal-Mart and Target ... and less crap that I'll have to move between houses. Smart thinking, eh?

So here we are now, hanging our hats in the East Bay before we head back down to So Cal next month when we finally move into our rental house. Grady's fever has finally gone down after four days of it hovering around 102. The girls are bike riding fiends. I'm doing a tad more shopping before my trip to NYC this weekend. And we're off over the next few days to visit a bunch of girlfriends who I've known since both high school and college.

August ... here we are!




On a not-so-dark desert highway ... cool a/c in my hair...


Grady only has eyes for his sisters ...



Libby chilling in the back of the car on one of the rest stops.
Grady's temp ... poor little guy!



My parents jokingly had this picture hanging in my bedroom ...
look like anyone you know?

6 comments:

Bfiles said...

I can't believe you did that car ride by yourself, with a sick baby. You are one tough mama. My goal is to be even 1/3 as tough as you, when I join the FS! have a great time at blogher!

Daniela Swider said...

OMG, that picture of you looks so much like Sheridan!

Glad that trip is over and you can relax with your parents around to help with the kids.

Have a blast at BlogHer!!!

Emily said...

I have often wondered if I am ever pulled over because of crazy driving when the kids are screaming, if they will take me away right then or just let me go because they feel sorry for me.
I am glad you made it.

Isn't always interesting when you try to do something like buy a bike rack, and it is just cheaper to buy bikes. It seems to happen that way a lot more than it should.

Christy said...

I'm so happy to see that you shoved Libby into the back with loads of luggage - we're about to do the same with Dublin for a short (3 hour) trip next week. But first, I get to meet you! YIPPEE! Three days! So glad to hear Grady's fever is down, and hope you have a fun month with your family before heading back down south!!!

Mom24 said...

Truly the trip from hell! Glad you made it there safe and sound. I hope you have a wonderful time in NY.

Very smart to buy new bikes. This after I just paid $200 to put a hitch on the van and another $200 for the carrier for a weekend camping trip. Stupid!

Barking Mad! said...

Awwww, traveling with an ill little one is NEVER fun. EVER.

Hope you're getting settled in and enjoyed a stay with your folks.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs