7.16.2011

Hello Virginia!

Your newest residents have finally arrived.

So let's just sum up our travel day with two words ... "It's Over."

After being used as a human jungle gym, a napkin, and a bed for the 4 hour, 40 minute flight, I was more than ready to land. Probably not as much as the people around us who had to endure the multiple fits, the jumping, the shushing, the walking the aisles, and the bickering coming from row 31. But at least they were friendly. And helpful ... as I needed someone to carry my bags when Grady insisted on being carried off the plane in one of his epic fits.

Now we're here. Our bags made it in one piece. And better yet, I even managed to sweet talk the United agent into waiving the baggage fees ($240) when I pulled out my travel orders and told her we were moving.

But the icing on the cake? Having our dear friends, who we've known since Oman, deal with the dead battery in my car just prior to picking us up at the airport. One issue I actually didn't have to deal with myself!!! How's that for timing?

Not only that ... They washed the car. Put gas in it. Took us out to dinner. They even left us with a large gift bag of snacks and goodies ... and the all important bottle of wine. Holy rockin' friends!


Eight days until we close on the house ...

Nine days until the movers start delivering our stuff ...

Ten days until we move in ...

13 comments:

Heather Dray said...

Woot woot! Welcome home. It's been waiting for you!

LuWho4u said...

Yay! I am so sorry we didn't get to meet before you left, but I am so glad you guys are there. Sounds like in really good hands too. That is so awesome. I have been in Cali for a month, but you will probably beat me at unpacking. Now, uncork that wine!

Donna said...

I count my flight times down to the minute, too. Glad you made it safe and sound - no more flying for awhile, right?

C.C. said...

Welcome to Virginia, Jill! I don't know if you remember me, but I'm also a Foreign Service blogger (inactive at the moment). Just wanted to chime in that we are Virginia residents who have just PCSed to California from our most recent tour in Nigeria. So, we're switching coasts with you all. I hope you and your family enjoy Virginia as much as we're enjoying California! As always, I love your blog. All the best! C.C.

Robin said...

Hurray! How exciting to finally be starting this next chapter of your lives!

I hate those long flights. So not looking forward to the trip back to the States next week... (Oh my god, did I say next week, that means I have to take my exam and get packed before then - aack!!!!)

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Christy said...

Woot woot! Sounds like you totally deserved that wine! And what amazing friends! YAY!

Daniela Swider said...

Yey, you made it safe and sound! Must be a relief... 10 days till you are in your house - how awesome is that!

amy said...

Yippee!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

mosey (kim) said...

Yay! Glad you're there and ready to get settled once and for all. We'll miss ya on this coast though...

Michelle said...

Wooo Hooo! There is an end in sight. Welcome home!

Kat said...

Woohoo!!!! You made it! Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers and for fabulous, wonderful friends! Yahoo!!!

Welcome home!!!

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Yay! Welcome home! Please email me w/ the particulars. Where your house will be, which school, etc. Getting together w/ my college friend this weekend who is an expert on all things Lo. Co. You'll love her. Can't wait to see you!

Mom24 said...

Those are some good friends! Here's to the beginning of the end of the countdowns...at least for a long time.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs