I thought this week was supposed to be relatively relaxing. How wrong I was! Yesterday we spent most of the day in the car dealing with dog issues. Don't worry the dog is fine... just causing a thorn in our side.
Libby is currently kenneled at a great boarding facility near our hotel. We decided to keep her there until our departure to India since we went up to the New York area for 5 days, and have been running errands every day since our return to Virginia. The kennel came highly recommended, and for the most part has been very receptive to our requests... though everything comes with a price. An additional $150, but who's counting?
In order to have Libby accompany us to India as excess baggage, we were required to have the Health Certificate and USDA approvals faxed in to the U.S. Consulate in Chennai no later than 3 business days prior to our arrival. The kennel told me that it wouldn't be a problem to handle all of this for us. They would perform the Health Certificate on Sunday, and then FedEx the signed certificate and accompanying information to the USDA, and I could stop by Wednesday to pick everything up. Imagine my surprise (and extreme irritation) when I called at 8 am Monday morning to follow-up on the Health Certificate that was supposed to be completed on Sunday, and discovered it was not done. Apparently, the vet who was supposed to do it was out of town for the weekend and would instead do it on Tuesday afternoon.
Are you freakin' kidding me?
I was so flustered with the news from the kennel that I'm sure I wasn't very nice to the lady on the other end of the phone. What I now needed to do was get in contact with the USDA, and make an appointment to drive the paperwork out to them on Tuesday afternoon. If they had any openings. In Annapolis, Maryland. An hour and a half away.
The vet agreed to come to the kennel a few hours earlier, and on Tuesday morning I left the hotel to drive the hour and a half round trip (just after a rainstorm) to the kennel to pick up the paperwork. I then went back to the hotel and picked up Matt and the girls, and we all made the long trek out to the USDA to get the additional paperwork signed and sealed.
Seven minutes in the USDA office and $24 later, the paperwork was completed and we were ready to drive back. In rush hour traffic. We also got lost (and didn't ask for directions, because Matt knew where we were headed...). Sure.
We spent over 6 hours in the car yesterday. Six long hours. But the paperwork is done. It was faxed into and received in Chennai this morning. And we're one step closer to leaving.
If only our furry little family member had a clue how much trouble she causes...