1.02.2012

Out With The Old, In With The New ...

I spent most of the day cleaning. You know ... ridding the house of last year's juju, and getting it spic and span for this year's chaos. Don't you do that? I figured that it's a brand new year and since I was stuck in the crapper yesterday, I couldn't quite do all that I wanted to rid our house of any negative energy and embrace the new year with vim and vigor.

So early this morning I began scrubbing the bathrooms. Then I vacuumed, swiffered, and washed the floors. I made a huge shopping trip to Trader Joe's. I even did five loads of laundry ... though I secretly did that today so that Matt would do all the folding. He's better at it than I am (and honestly cares FAR more than I do if the clothes are folded as neatly as a Gap store's inventory). Oh yeah, I also changed everybody's toothbrush. With the amount of money I'm paying for orthodonture, I figure that everyone should take pride in their pearly whites. Right?

With 2012 already underfoot, I hesitate to move forward without acknowledging my lack of published New Year's goals. Everybody has them right? While I've never addressed mine aloud, I honestly ask if people truly hold others accountable? Aside from my brave husband, I wonder who would call me out for not getting my tush to the gym four days a week or who's going to stay on me to update my blog in a timely manner?

Since I assume you all care about my resolutions this year, I'm going to write them here for the world to see. In no particular order, they are ...

* To complain less. Unless it's about my kids. My husband. My house. Or my car. Then all bets are off and I'm letting the expletives fly.

* To drink more ____. You can fill in the blank of whatever beverage you feel I should be consuming. Though if you don't say, "wine" or "Starbucks caramel macchiattos" then you really don't know me, and you shouldn't be left to fill in the blank.

* To stay in touch with family and friends. Unless it means that I have to initiate the call ... or email ... or dare I admit, stop screening my calls, to which I'll remind you of how good I was with that in 2011.

* To answer emails in a timely manner. Ha! Remember that I have regular internet now, not that cruddy third world internet that I had back in India ... It's taken me an entire year to perfect the art of evasion whereby I blame everything on having three kids, a husband who works insane hours, and little free time to do anything else.

* To update my blog more frequently. See above retort.

* To be more assertive. Oh goodness forbid! I threw this in just to see if you were still reading ...

* To go to the gym 2-3 times per week. Since I have a free membership how much Jewish guilt should I have if I don't regularly make it? More importantly, is Jewish guilt retroactive?

* To not take myself too seriously. Starting with ...


7 comments:

Jen said...

You know I automatically filled in wine in the blank, right? See you Wednesday (for wine...or coffee...or both!)!

anymommy said...

Wine AND caramel whatever those things are. (Chai only for me.) Love you. Wish you a beautiful 2012, all complaining welcome.

Connie said...

Those sound like good resolutions! Good for you! I started to do the prep for the new year clean and scrub and organize... but then I realized, the kids are on break, the hubby was taking some leave, why ruin it with housework? I did what needed to be done and have only starting all that now, the first day everyone is back to the regular routine. Not stressing the stressful stuff is my only resolution this year. Happy New Year to you and your lovely family!

Christy said...

I will gladly pester your ass to get to the gym. And if you were MORE assertive I'm not sure the world could handle you! HA! Love this post. You're so funny Jill. And smart. And now? Get your butt to the gym!!! GO!!!!

Issa said...

I think the best one is the drink more wine and SB's. ;)

Heidi said...

Love wine and caramel macchiatos. Your resolutions could be mine except the gym. I don't go to the gym, however I need to walk more.
Happy New Year to you!

Mom24 said...

Very nice! I hope you keep them all. ;)

Blog Designed by: NW Designs