6.16.2011

One Month From Today ...

... we will be Virginia State residents.

A bold statement that just doesn't completely express the magnitude of our excitement.

Especially when this week has presented some sleeping challenges. And spacial challenges. And timing challenges.

But we have daily maid service. Which totally doesn't make up for the chaos. But we're beyond happy to have it. The maid service, not the chaos. It's been awhile since anyone besides me has done the cleaning ... and I will admit that it's been nice. Not nice enough that I want to stay in this small room any longer than I need to. But it's one less thing that I have to do. ONE less thing...


It hasn't been easy ... but in the past week:

* I figured out a way to cost-construct our airline tickets from San Francisco to Virginia vice Los Angeles to Virginia, and pay less than $350 out of pocket. Total. Which is a HUGE feat considering they wanted approx $600 / per ticket / per person. Now one could say that it's crazy that I have to pay any money to move on to our next post considering this is an authorized move for our family. However, we were only eligible to fly from Los Angeles to Virginia on the USG's dime, and to change our plans meant that we'd have to pay any additional monies above and beyond what the government gave us to fly from LA to VA. And surprisingly, there are no government airfares for the SF - VA route, which meant, I had to pay a regular fare. Which I did. And since the prices were minimal, I booked them.

* We were also authorized (and now scheduled) to ship our car from Northern California vice Southern California to Virginia at no additional out-of-pocket costs.

* We booked our hotel in Virginia for the few weeks until we move into our new house.

* I confirmed that our shipment from Belgium will arrive, clear customs, and be moved to the storage facility where our shipment from CA will be stored, by the time I arrive in Virginia.

* I also enrolled Grady and the girls in summer camp for 3 weeks near my parent's house. Hello sanity!


I even managed to get off the computer and out of the hotel room a bit here and there this week ...

* and enjoyed a moms brunch and mini farewell gathering that a few friends had for me today.

* and went to the mall and finally bought a pair of much needed sunglasses since my last pair were stolen out of my car back in April.

* and attempted to go bathing suit shopping. With the girls. Though I quickly realized how lousy an idea that was when my ever-so-honest daughter ripped open the dressing room curtain and loudly exclaimed that my thighs looked, "WAY too fat" for those particular bikini bottoms. Note to self. Never again take an 8 year old to a help pick out a bathing suit unless you really want her opinion. Which, frankly, you don't.


In all, a relatively good week. One where you may even admit aloud that you smiled more than you frowned.

Because you got most of what you needed to get accomplished ... accomplished. And more importantly? You realize that one month from today you'll be living out of yet another hotel room. But this time it's in Virginia. And you know that all you need to do to keep your daughters' in check, is to pull out that itsy bitsy teeny weenie yellow polka dot bikini in front of their new friends.

Which you totally added to your next shopping list for tomorrow. And smiled.

9 comments:

Z. Marie said...

Awesome!
I'll need some unaccompanied-tour support from you in a while. I'll keep you posted ...

Kristi said...

Bless. We packed out yesterday and the kids and I are now staying and Mom and Dad's place. Saw your pics of the kiddos last night and I had to smile. Been there, hated that. BIG hugs- we're thinking about you and yours. Safe journey.

Daniela Swider said...

Moving right along... little by little you are going to get to that dream home of yours and Matt will be there and the kids will be delighted and all will be right with the world again. Hope time flies for you until then...

Mom24 said...

Can you imagine that relatively shortly there will be a time in your life without countdowns? Hope the next month, especially the next week in the hotel, goes really quickly.

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Great job getting the tickets! That has to be a huge relief.

Great idea on the bikini! Hey, we mothers have to do whatever it takes sometimes. :)

We were in a hotel with 3 people and a big dog and a cat. Lets just say that I think they were really happy when we checked out after 3 weeks...

The next month will probably fly by for you--lots and lots to do!

Take care,
Pam

Kat said...

Wow! You got so much done! I have no idea how you do it all. To say that I'm impressed is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

Let's hope this month FLIES BY! :)

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

having you in va will make me smile!

Issa said...

Day camp is awesome. Just sayin. ;)

Christy said...

Day camp?! I need to investigate that idea around here! Hope you're having a good one - hopefully the weekend flew by?!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs