I originally thought that all I needed to do was spend a few hours scraping off the brown paint, then I could primer it and paint it... in just a day or two's work. Boy was I wrong! The armoire wasn't painted brown, rather it had a waxy exterior that made it virtually impossible to scrape, and was none to easy to remove with paint thinner either. The first weekend we had it, I spent at least 3 hours scrubbing with paint thinner, getting high as a kite, nary making a dent.
Matt finally got fed up and instructed our driver to hire a carpenter who could come to the house and sand it down. He found someone who came the next day, and in about 8 hours and 20 sanding disks later, it was as good as it was going to get.
I spent this weekend primering the thing, and both yesterday and today sponge painting it white. We thought we would white wash it with a hint of turquoise, but once I primered it and saw that the red wax was going to shine through, we left it the original color.
Okay... so it's a little pink. But if you look closely, you'll see it's a weathered pink (I'm grasping at straws here people). Lucky it will blend in with the funky furniture we have in our bedroom. More importantly, Matt couldn't care less as he knows he now has a place to hang his clothes (besides the chair, the hamper, and on top of the last 3 boxes in our room.) We'll bring it up tomorrow after it finishes drying. Now I just need to hire 3 men to carry it and pray it fits through the door.
This is the armoire in its original color the day it was delivered.
Here we go after it was sanded down. Notice the inside left door wasn't sanded completely... the carpenter tried and tried, but he couldn't get it off.