10.29.2012

Send Us Love. Send Us Sanity. Send ME Wine!

We talk all the way to the airport.  About the kids.  About our time together.  About our next visit.  Though unlike last time, the drive is much shorter.  As we go through the Toll Booth, and on to the access road of the airport, I feel the first twinge in my nose.  I usually scrunch it up and pretend all is fine.  That is, until I make the final turn and drive up the ramp to the Departure area when the lump in my throat makes it difficult to swallow.

We've done this before.  Six times to be exact.  And while I would like to say it gets easier ... it never does.  How could it?  When you put the love of your life, the father of your kids, your best friend back on a plane to fly thousands of miles away while you virtually miss a year of your life together.  Or two if you're really counting ...

But the known IS better than the unknown.  You HAVE done this before.  Six times, remember?  You know that in a few days both of you will get back into a routine.  He will get over jet lag.  The kids will get back onto their schedule.  That despite the tears.  The sadness.  The longing that we all have for each other ...  we are all going to be okay.  Yes, we will eventually be okay ...


Of course, one might be a wee bit better when their in-laws, who have been here for 6 days (two of which were spent with their son, who they hadn't seen in a year) weren't stuck here, IN the house (due to canceled flights) for an additional three days thanks to hurricane Sandy.  Oh, and if their father-in-law didn't have a severe case of shpilkes in tuchis ... also known as "ants in the pants". 

We're laughing about this now ... but talk to us all in a few days.

6 comments:

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

sending you love and patience and everything else! xo

Robin said...

Oy... Should we make it a full case of wine?

xox

Daniela Swider said...

This is hard no matter how many times you do it. You are my hearo! I just hope I can be as strong when it's our turn to do a UT... I do have some wine ready to go to India but this sounds like a legitimate emergency. Now, if I could figure out how to get it out to you in the storm...

Heather Dray said...

I can't imagine it ever getting easier, either. Sending you hugs from super far away! Maybe, just maybe, we'll cross paths sometime in the next year for a latte and chat. Drink your wine girly; you deserve it! Good luck with the storm. I'm pretty happy to be on the other side of the ocean right now...

Mom24 said...

Definitely love and patience and a nomination for sainthood.

Kat said...

I can't imagine how hard it is. Seriously. And then the in laws there yet too! ARGH!

Does it help to know that you're my hero?

Blog Designed by: NW Designs