12.12.2011

It's Been Awhile ...

When you open up your life and blog for almost eight years, going a month in between updates seems like an eternity. It's not that I'm any busier here than I was in Newport Beach or even overseas (well maybe just a little). It's just that I've needed the break. Scratch that, I've wanted the break. And for the most part, I haven't yearned for the burden of running straight to my computer at the end of the day to document every wee little thing the kids did that made me laugh or every household snafu that had me seeing stars.

Sure, I've missed not writing about my never-ending parenting fail moments ... like a few weeks ago when I was driving to pick up Riley from Girl Scouts and had to make a quick stop in the dark when Grady recently blurted out from the back seat, "F**king D*mnit". Followed up a few days later when I turned off Elmo before I took him to school only to hear him scream, "Dat's F**king Bullsh*t". Oh the clarity of his vocabulary when dropping an "F" bomb or two...

Yep ... Mother Of The Year I tell you.

Of course, not writing for long periods of time also means that I'm eventually left with a large void. Which is where I am now. My catharsis comes from blogging. It's my greatest outlet ... as well as my biggest nemesis when I go this long in between updates.

So without further adieu, let me fill you in with pictures of what we've been up to here in Casa de Chaos over the past month ...




My in-laws came for a super fun visit the first weekend in November.




We took these pictures at the National Zoo




We've had several school activities to attend. Both girls had conferences and received great marks on their report cards. I chaperoned Sheridan's class on a field trip to Mt. Vernon (OYE the noise on the bus ...). I visited Sheridan's classroom as they took me on a tour of their American Indian Museum. I went to a poetry reading in Riley's class. And I've begun volunteering every Tuesday in her class with the reading centers.




I met up with a gaggle of spouses whose husband's are all in the same line of work as Matt. It was a LATE night with a LOT of head nodding, eye rolling, and laughter as we realized we were all married to virtually the "same" man ...





I underwent two separate VNUS Closure procedures. They were done on each leg where the veins were lasered closed to help reduce the pain, swelling, and throbbing of my varicose veins. The pain was minimal during the procedures, but left a gnarly bruise on my left leg. The next step is sclerotherapy before we move on to a micro phlebectomy. Fun?




The girls spent one Friday evening ice skating with friends from school.





My parents came to town after Thanksgiving and we totally enjoyed time with them and my
brother Scott here at the Museum of Natural History. Sheridan finally agreed to hold this caterpillar, while Grady LOVED holding this cockroach. Twice!




Our first family photo in front of any DC landmark!



The girls also finally joined respective Girl Scout Troops where they are both Brownies. They've each had meetings and an event and are already talking about selling those darn cookies!




This past Saturday we hung out with our dear friends who laughed at me when I took these photos saying, "Smile everyone. She's probably going to put this in her blog".

Damn straight.


The girls also ...

... started a weekly gymnastics class. They've been to the orthodontist where Riley is scheduled to have her braces put in on February 1. They've both been on numerous play dates. I've put myself out there and gone on oodles of coffee and lunch dates as well, and even went out to a wine tasting and dinner with a group of the neighborhood ladies . We've had our gutters cleaned. We've seen a few movies, including The Muppet's, which is just darling. My cousin, my neighbor, and my sweet friend Christy all had babies.

And of course, who can forget Thanksgiving. A wonderful day spent with new friends ... and the first of many turkeys cooked in our new house.

So that's what's been happening in our neck of the woods. Enough to keep me busy. Enough to keep me away from the computer. Enough to add a few more than a few gray hairs.

Which I'm thankfully getting colored tomorrow. That is, right after I volunteer in Riley's class. And deal with her holiday party preparations. And run by the grocery store. And ...

It never ends does it?

9 comments:

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Great new pictures! It's nice to read your news. I love the Grady stories. I've received the MOTY award many times in the past too. :)

Take care,
Pam

Robin said...

It's good to hear from you Jill. The photos are wonderful, and even better to hear that you're beginning to settle in and find your tribe ((hug)).

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography on etsy and Society6 and bring home something beautiful today!

Dilem*mama said...

My eldest had a severe speech delay. However, he was a fluently swearing toddler like Grady. Hang in there!

Joyce said...

I know what yoh mean about not blogging for a while. I grew out of mine and now have not blogged in a year...and having trouble coming back...i do miss seeing the history...so don't give it up. I love reading yours! And I am working on going back on mine...

Mom24 said...

It definitely never ends, and it's all cyclical, which can drive me a bit batty if I let it. Glad everything's going all right.

What wonderful field trips your kids get to take, you live in an awesome place, that's for sure.

I'm currently on a bit of a blogging break too, sometimes you just don't feel it.

Anonymous said...

Well, hi!

Issa said...

I love seeing you back here. I know what you mean too. It's easy to just not post for a bit, but then it's especially hard to know where to start when you come back.

Love the photos. Even the one of Gray with the bug. I'm just pretending I didn't see the GIANT BUG!

Kat said...

Busy, busy, busy!
And how did your kiddos get so big! Grady looks like such a little man!
So much going on and I always step back from blogging when it gets busy. Then I miss it and come back but it is so hard to try and catch up on everything.
I think you've done a beautiful summary. Life sounds busy but wonderful! :)

Christy said...

So happy you're back! I was afraid you'd abandoned it! you HAVE been busy girlfriend! I really loved reading all you've been up to -- and REALLY hope we get to hang out at Christmas!!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs