5.02.2011

Inquiring Minds Wanted To Know ...

I wasn't sure what to expect when I flew out to Virginia last week. Would the house resemble a home? Would I be able to envision a finished product from just the framing? Would I have *gulp* buyers remorse?

Yes ... Yes ... and ABSOLUTELY Not! Whew.

While the trip was extremely quick (I was there less than 36 hours), it was beyond productive. I met with the home inspector on Thursday and spent about three hours in our house and in the model taking measurements. On Friday I met with the builder's contractor to do the pre-drywall inspection, and spent another two hours on site. Amazingly, there was very little that needed to be fixed over the weekend before they begin insulating tomorrow, and begin the dry-wall on Wednesday. We're ahead of schedule people!!

I spent a majority of the rest of my time doing reconnaissance. I scoped out every single grocery store within a 10 mile radius of our house. I located the nearest Starbucks (approx 3 miles). I picked up the registration packets for the girls elementary school. I found the park and ride where Matt may use the commuter bus. I took dinner to a girlfriend in the hospital. I also drove to two shopping malls, found three Home Depot's (where I'm sure I'll get to know everyone by name), and navigated my way to two Synagogue's, one of which was in ... get this ... a strip mall. I don't know why it bothered me so much to see it there. Maybe it was the lack of architecture. Maybe because it was surrounded in an industrial area with bathroom, granite, and builder's design centers. Or maybe it's because they didn't even think about renting next to a Chinese restaurant...

In all, it was a great trip, that has me excited for the future. Which should start somewhere in the next 10 -12 weeks!




L: The Kitchen and Morning Room
R: The view when you first walk into the house




The master bedroom.
View of the recessed lighting and lighting pre-wires.




Matt's *%^$&@*!#* trees
View of our backyard




Synagogue in the strip mall. The one we probably won't be joining.
However, if they put in a drive-thru window, I'd totally order the McTorah.

14 comments:

Christy said...

Love love love it! And how productive you were! Hip hip hooray!

Mom24 said...

So awesome Jill. I'm really, really happy for you. I bet it feels like a dream come true.

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Congratulations on having such a productive trip! It looks like the builders are doing a great job. I'm impressed with how clean they are keeping everything.

Glad you found the important stuff--A Synagogue, Starbucks and Home Depot!

mosey (kim) said...

How wonderful! Bet you can't wait to get there and settle in. Isn't it amazing seeing how quickly this part of the construction comes together?
Wheeeeee!

Daniela Swider said...

Wow, I am so totally impressed that they are ahead of schedule. Perhaps that means less time in a hotel for you and the kids. It's really starting to take shape. I know I would be pee-in-my pants excited if I were you. Here's hoping things keep moving well and ahead of schedule!!!

Unknown said...

i'm relatively new to your blog and i wanted to tell you that i really just love it! =) hope you have a great week!

Robin said...

Oooh, look at all that great space! I can't wait to see it all come together. Lovin' Matt's trees, too.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Camille said...

McTorah - hahahahha! You're hilarious. Yeah, I probably wouldn't want to go to church in a strip mall either - weird.

The house is looking awesome! I'm excited for you guys :)

Sunny said...

Yay for you! It must be a breath of fresh air to have your own place. Can't imagine what that would be like. The church strip mall thing doesn't jive with me either. There is something kinda aesthetically evil about strip malls so putting synagogues there just doesn't work. Then again you never know what the folks will be like inside.

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

So excited, girlie! This is going to be great. A strip mall?

Issa said...

Oh I am soooo excited for you.

Also? Owe you an email. Will get too it. Promise.

Heidi said...

This sounds good - even the mall synagogue. Why not?

Happy for you!

Kat said...

Oh, it is SO FREAKING EXCITING!!!! I love the bright light that you have in your kitchen. It looks fabulous!!!

I don't think I'd be able to go to a church in a strip mall either. Although, like you said, if there was really good take out right next door I'd consider it. ;)

Crystal said...

So excited for you all and can't wait to see photos of you all together in your new house : ) Blessings to you, Jill!!!!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs