5.04.2009

Okay... So Here's The Latest

On the bright side, at 37 weeks yesterday, baby Perlman is officially "full term". On the flip side (pun intended), baby Perlman has yet again turned breech. So where do we go from here? Let me fill in some of the blanks.

As far as I can tell from comments my OB, hematologist, and perinatologist have made to me, the hospital where I am delivering is extremely conservative and risk averse. And unless there is a good enough reason, they will not approve an induction prior to 39 weeks unless the OB performs an amniocentesis, or can adequately justify a reason for an early delivery. No worries, right? Except, the doctor is becoming anxious to get this baby out due to the ever changing of events ... and honestly, so am I. And due to my issues, he isn't comfortable doing an amnio.

So where does that leave us? With a highly document and justified induction either next Tuesday, May 12th or Thursday, May 14th... unless baby Perlman makes its own unscheduled arrival on its own before then... which could happen based on the serious contractions the OB has told me have made my body ready at any time. However, there are a lot of things that need to take place before next week in order to prepare for the delivery.

First, I have to schedule my WinRho SDF Infusion for 5 days prior to delivery. This immunoglobulin treatment is to help increase my low platelet count so I can enjoy the benefits of an epidural during delivery. As we all remember, I wasn't able to have an epidural during Sheridan's birth due to my thrombocytopenia, and darn it, I want one this time! The hematologist administers the infusion in his office, and once completed, I go back about 2-3 days later to check my platelet count for any improvement. If there is - fantastic! If not, then the hematologist will write the orders to have a platelet transfusion once I check in to the hospital for the delivery (which he already did, and I'm now carrying them on me at all times - just in case!)

Next, I have to go to the hospital this Thursday to have an External Cephalic Version performed, otherwise known as kneading the hell out of my stomach with the high hopes that it turns the baby from breech to head-towards-crotch position. Sounds like fun, eh? Due to the increased amniotic fluid, the baby keeps rolling and turning, and has yet again managed to wedge its head up into my ribcage. Awesome feeling, let me tell ya. I am doing the exercises the OB mandated, which include getting on my hands and knees, tush high in the sky, 3 times a day for 20 minutes at a time. I'm sure I'm quite a sight. We're hoping that by Thursday, the baby will have moved on its own and I don't need to have the External Version done. Wish me luck. Neither I, nor the OB, want to have a C-Section as I have too many bleeding issues to complicate things.

Tomorrow I go again to the perinatologist for another scan and to see how baby Perlman is growing. Looking at the size of my stomach, I'm sure it's quite fine... However, I'll be happy to entertain guesses as to the final weight and length of the baby next week. As a reminder, Riley was born 9 days early and weighed 7 lbs 5 oz and was 20 inches. Sheridan was born 2 days late and weighed 7 lbs 12 oz and was 19 inches. Baby Perlman #3 will be born at either 38 weeks 2 days or 38 weeks 4 days ... you fill in the blanks!

Until I have more answers, I leave you with a photo taken tonight by Riley.



18 comments:

Robin said...

Full-term and still smiling - that's quite an accomplishment :).

I'll send all the turn baby turn vibes I can find your way and wish you a beautiful, smooth, uncomplicated delivery and a very healthy mama and baby.

Won't be long now!

Joyce said...

Thanks for the update...I have been wondering. Congrats to making it to full term. That was the first step to a successful delivery. Here's wishing to a complete success. Try to get some rest because when the baby is here, it will be some groggy days and nights ahead.

BTW, you truly are the most beautiful pregnant woman I have ever seen!

xoxo

Tanya said...

Wahoo and counting! I have been reading your blog for a while now watching baby grow. Your post made me realise just how lucky I am to have had two awesome homebirths albeit more than 30 hours each, posterior births (I tried the crawling too to get them to turn to no avail) and nearly 9 pounders the both of them (mind you with one at 6 foot now and the other not far behind I can see how they would have started big)I am sending you masses of positive thoughts.
PS I agree you do take a great yummy mummy pic!!

Unknown said...

If I looked that cute preggers I would have 15 kids... you look awesome.. Keep us posted!I am so excited for you...

Crystal said...

You look GREAT!!! Blessings and prayers sent your way as you prepare to welcome your sweet little one : ) HOW EXCITING!!

Mom24 said...

I hope everything works out the way you want it too. I hate when hospitals won't use common sense, compassion and intelligence to decide things. Good luck with all of it.

Hopefully there's so much fluid in there he/she will flip again. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Very exciting times ahead. I can't believe the time is finally here.

Heidi said...

I'm gonna go with 7lb 10 oz. and 20 inches.

Girl, you sound so chipper about all this that's coming up. I think I want you with me in a crisis. I will be the one screaming, you be the one to slap me, k?

Tenakim said...

good luck- that External Cepalic Aversion freaked me out and on the way to get it done- she flipped and I really felt it- maybe you'll have the same luck.

By the way, you do look far too amazing- you're lucky I love you!

Michelle said...

Oh, I remember that time all too well! When you couldn't quite pull the shirt down far enough. Too bad they don't make extensions for the bottom of the T-shirts. I swear maternity clothes were made by men.

The Mom Jen said...

Praying all will go well for you! You are the most beautiful full term mom I know! I was so puffy and chin-ny...you look amazing sweetheart!

Unknown said...

You are so absolutely adorable in that photo! You must be so ready to be done--hope you are able to have the epidural (I'll keep my fingers crossed!) You're almost there!

~Christy

Z. Marie said...

Wow, you look great! I think I'm about the same size, but I look completely different.

Anonymous said...

I didn't understand half of that :(
But whatever you said I was scared enough...good luck! Will Matt be back in time?

Maria

Jen said...

Its a good thing that you are going to deliver soon other wise you will need some longer shirts, you cutie putie you. ;0

but seriously, I wish you nothing but the best and I hope the next post I read is that the baby is here and everything is fine.

3 Peas in a Pod said...

I have anxiety for you Jill. I have to say I think your case calls for an earlier induction date, don't you?!? Don't you wonder what they're waiting for!! My drs finally learned their lesson with my last pregnancy. They took her at 36 weeks on the nose. No ifs, ands, or buts about it! You're in good hands with all of your doctors. Just breathe. It's a lot to take in but I understand what you're saying. The immunoglobulin stuff really works. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can have an epidural and not a c-section. My friend had a version and it worked. Keeping my fingers crossed that you don't need one but if you do that it works for you too!!

I read your last post but didn't get a chance to comment. I hope all of THAT is taken care of before Baby Perlman gets here!! Matt's flying in this weekend, no? I think you said Mother's Day he'll be here.

I'm waiting on pins and needles for you to deliver as I'm sure you are too. Seriously, how cute are you in that picture!!!

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

P.S. Where did you live in Jersey???

Diane Mandy said...

I'm sending you all my best hopes and wishes!

anymommy said...

I've been thinking about you. That all sounds complex, but so well planned. Can't wait for the big news!

Lisa said...

You look beautiful - and ready to have a baby!!! Aren't you so relieved that you will have a baby by next week at the very latest? It always helps to have the end in site ;)
Have you thought about seeing a chiro? I'm not a huge chiropractic person, but had a lot of sciatic nerve issues w/ Anna's pregnancy. My doctor SWORE she could flip a baby with no pain. You may want to check it out!
Can't wait for your exciting news!!!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs