4.01.2009

We're Here... and We're Tired!

It took eight bags of luggage, two planes, twenty-three hours of flight time (not including waiting in airports and layovers), two children's movies that were repeated several times, horrible confirmed kids meals, lots of chocolate, little sleep, and some serious caffeine to keep my sanity as the girls and I made our way safely here to Newport Beach. My saving grace in this expedition? Two easy travelers... and business class seats.

We arrived Monday afternoon to beautiful crisp weather and a hotel villa hand picked for us by the manager... it sure did pay off meeting him face-to-face back in December and detailing all of my needs. My in-laws met us at the hotel with a big bag of Trader Joe's goodies and the girls favorite teddy bears that they always sleep with at their house, just as we were checking into our room. Perfect timing. Then I left the girls and it was off to get my rental car (that I have to exchange tomorrow because there are WAY too many blind spots on it). A quick pizza dinner, a much needed bath, the girls fell asleep at 8:30 pm... and slept through the night until 7:15 am. Hooray for a glorious first night!

It was a busy day today with the never ending paperwork for the girls schools, a few shopping excursions to Target and Pavilions, and of course, my first of many Starbucks runs. We enrolled Sheridan at the JCC where after an hour of contemplating, I decided to start her tomorrow. She has a great deal of energy and they have the facilities to help burn some of it off. The teachers and director appear excited to have her join in the Passover program tomorrow, and I am thrilled to get a few more errands completed with one less appendage attached...

After all the planning and preparations, it feels good to finally be in California... and under the care and supervision of a real doctor. It also doesn't hurt to be able to hop into my own car and drive anywhere at anytime... it's the little things that are really going to make my next few months complete.

For now, a couple nights of sleep will really help all of us completely acclimate to the 12.5 hour time change.

In fact, I think I'll start right now.

19 comments:

Robin said...

Welcome home, and congratulations for surviving the trip and arriving all in one piece. Here's to a smooth settling in.

G in Berlin said...

Congratulations on being home. What a relief it must be. Enjoy this time.

3 Peas in a Pod said...

Welcome back Jill! So happy to hear everything went well. Business class definitely makes things easier as well as two easy travellers. Whew!

Now you can sit and wait and enjoy your time until the newest little arrival homes. When does Matt join you?

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

trash said...

Hurrah for repeat-on-demand children's movies and chocolate. Air travel is soooooooo much easier because of them.

Mom24 said...

Welcome back. I'm so glad everything went well. I hope the girls like school and that you're able to get things accomplished and have fun while you're waiting for your little one.

What an exciting time.

Suzanne said...

Yes....go to bed. Get some sleep. I'm so happy you're back in the U.S. under a doctor's care.

- Suzanne

OHmommy said...

Whoa... the girls slept well for the first night. And hurray for the JCC decision on enrolling her tomorrow.

Get some rest and welcome home Jill!

Jen said...

So glad that you got there safely. It must be good to be home.

Unknown said...

So glad you made it home safe & sound!

Unknown said...

Can you guys come over tomorrow after school for a play date? Adrienne will be around with her 2 little girls, and I thought it would be fun if we could all get together! Call me, or drop me a line!- Kristen

Shannon said...

Welcome home! Glad to hear you made it safely back :)

anymommy said...

So glad the trip went well. Sleep!

C.C. said...

Well done! Those flights home are tough but worth every minute...and business class doesn't hurt either! I'm sending all my best wishes and good thoughts your way as you prepare for your new little one. Thanks so much for your kind words. It's very nice to know that someone out there understands! Take care.

Cynthia said...

Wow...I'm exhausted just reading this...get some sleep:)

Laural Out Loud said...

You made it! I think a trip like that wouldn't gotten the best of us, but you came through with flying colors. Welcome home!

Christy said...

Wow, now I feel stupid for complaining about my 1,000 mile move...dude, you have it waaay worse! I hope you all settle in quickly & have a blast while you're here! Welcome home & enjoy your many trips to Starbucks! :)

~Christy

Donna said...

Welcome back - and remember - the flight back was waaay worse than labor could ever be.

I tagged you for Around the World in 80 Clicks, if you have the time before little one arrives.

http://emailfromtheembassy.blogspot.com/2009/04/around-world-in-80-clicks.html

the mama bird diaries said...

Congrats! So glad the trip is behind you.

Michelle said...

What a journey that must have been! I'm glad you arrived safely!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs